Thursday, March 27, 2008

Baseball Moms

Let we qualify this post with this - I love that Jack plays baseball and I will do everything in my power to help him be the best he wants to be.
So everyone has heard of the famous "soccer mom" but have you met baseball mom? They are very into the baseball scene. Camps (year round not just summer), private coaches, crazy expensive equipment. They really have more interest than the kids I think. Really can drive me crazy. I here by promise, I am (to my knowledge) a very long way away from:

Having a full blown batting cage in my backyard (a net to throw against of hit into is okay)


-or-


Spending $200.00 on a baseball bat.
I can hear my mom telling me she won't buy the expensive jeans (Gloria Vandervilt) until I stop growing. That's how I feel right now. But seriously they are 7 and 8 years old. Give them something to look forward too. They have no idea how much a bat costs and believe me unless it's a magic bat, it ain't going to make a difference.
We did breakdown and buy a baseball bag this week - along with the cup. But I consider that a necessity - more for me than for Jack. Now he has a specific place for all things baseball and I don't do anything but pick up 1 bag!
We are going to try to attend some TCU baseball games this year. We have a friend who played there and are trying to get together with them. Anyway, this turned out to be less of a rant than I had thought when I began. I was very sports oriented growing up and am trying very hard not to push that on Jack, especially after being around some very baseball-pushy parents. Jman reels me in when needed. I think I'm good until we start dealing with all those blind referees and umpires.

2 comments:

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

Good for you for standing strong against the bat! It's crazy what people are willing to do!

Jenn said...

I'm so with you...
Here is how sports "cheap" that we are...Aaron and Grace share the softball bag. It is pink and black and Aaron carries it to his church league games. Can I tell you how many funny comments he gets from the other guys for carrying a pink bag? Also, Aaron uses the net on our trampoline to throw against...very funny.
Come on, don't you want to play big bucks for a private coach?? :)